Archive for October, 2008
Saturday 22nd November 2008, 9.30am – 3pm
A chance to BRING, BUY, SWAP, SELL precious old bicycle junk.
Entry by gold coin donation
At the rear of Abbotsford Cycles, 27 Swan St, Richmond (under the station) hosted by Vintage Cycle Club of Vic, courtesy of Abbotsford Cycles.
All eras welcome, but classic and vintage preferred.
To register as a seller ($10 fee, bkgs essential – limited space available) or for further info contact:
Charlie Farren email@example.com, tel 9827 4453
This event is held in conjunction with the Melbourne Bicycle Film Festival, 19-23 NovNo comments
This month’s Moreland BUG meeting is at 7:30pm at Caffe Mingo (600 Sydney Rd, Brunswick) on Thursday, October 23.
The agenda is:
- Council consultation on various issues (with Kylie Huard)
- Proposed changes to bus stops at Anstey Station and the potential impact on the pram ramp and bike path
- Proposed alignments for changes to the Merri Creek bike path at the velodrome, north of CERES, and ideas for Sumner Park, Fitzroy North
- The grab rail on the southern side of the Moreland Station crossing
- OHeas St update
- The Moreland Station redevelopment
- Local government elections
- The Moreland BUG Annual General Meeting
- A presentation on what the BUG has done this year
- Drinks afterwards at the Edinburgh Castle (cnr Albion St and Sydney Rd)
Hope to see you there!No comments
We’ll return by the Merri Creek to CERES, or you can catch a train from Collingwood Station. This is an easy ride and all are welcome.
Rating: Easy, on bike paths
Date: Sunday, 9 November
Time: 1 – 5pm
Start: CERES cafe, cnr Roberts and Stewart Streets, Brunswick East, 3057, 30 B7
Finish: CERES cafe, Brunswick East
Note: 1pm is our DEPARTURE time, please arrive early and if you’d like lunch or a coffee at the cafe before hand, allow lots of time (lunch can take more than an hour to order, eat and pay for on a beautiful Sunday at CERES)!
Please do RSVP including your phone number. (We need at least 10 people for the tour. We should be able to accommodate everyone, but if numbers are too great, we’ll give Moreland residents who register before 2 November first priority.)No comments
Bill, Joel and the Human Powered team are tireless in their pursuit to bring recycled bikes to people who need them, and it’s great to see that their story was shared with the nation on Lateline on Friday night.
To view the transcript or the video, go to:
This Wednesday 15 October, on Ride to Work day, there will be a meeting and gathering in memory of the cyclist who lost her life on September 18.
There will be a group meeting on Swanston Street out the front of the State Library at 8:00am. At 8:10am, the group will ride slowly down Swanston Street to the Melbourne Town Hall, where there will be one minute’s silence.
You are encouraged to leave a flower at the site of the accident (corner Bourke and Swanston) as the gathering makes its way to Town Hall.
Pedestrians are welcome to join the group on the day.No comments
The National Ride to Work day is on Wednesday, October 15, 2008.
Around Moreland, the following Ride to Work activities will be happening.
The City of Moreland is hosting a breakfast in the Victoria Street Mall, Coburg, from 7:30am – 9:00am.
Commuter Cycles (14 Prentice Street, Brunswick) is offering espresso coffee (with a barista and machine in for the day) fresh fruit, and bacon & egg sandwiches, plus a quick bike tune up if you need it.
When: 7am to 10am
Cost: A gold coin donation, and that you register for Ride To Work Day.
Human Powered Cycles (38 Harrison St, Brunswick East) is offering:
- 8-9am – free intro bike maintenance training
- Free puncture repair all day
- 10% off parts and accessories all day
- 5-6pm – free intro bike maintenance training
- 6-8pm – drinks and pizza with the crew… open to everyone!
BV have a comprehensive list of other community breakfasts around the city and state.
Please remember to register, as the stats of how many people ride helps bicycling advocacy (and you have a chance of winning some great prizes!).
If you haven’t ridden to work before and you are not sure where to start, have a read of Bicycle Victoria’s “Where do I start?” guide.No comments
The 2008 Annual General Meeting of the Moreland Bicycle User is to be held this month:
Date: Thursday 23 October
Venue: Caffe Mingo, 600 Sydney Rd, Brunswick (followed by drinks afterwards at the Edinburgh Castle Hotel, cnr Albion St and Sydney Rd)
Under the constitution, the ordinary business of the Annual General Meeting shall be to:
- Confirm the minutes of the previous (2007) Annual General Meeting
- Presentation of financial statements by the Committee, detailing the transactions of the Group in the preceding financial year
- Elect the next Committee of Management
- Receive and consider the statement submitted by the Group in accordance with section 30(3) of the Association Incorporation Act (1981), covering details such as income and expenditure in its last financial year and assets and liabilities at the end of its last financial year
- Enact any other business for which required notice has been given in writing to the Secretary
- Set membership fees for the following year
- Appoint an auditor of the financial records for the ensuing year
The overall agenda for the night will be:
- Drinks at the pub!
Assuming more than one nomination per position, there will be an election for the committee positions, which are:
- Deputy Convenor
- Three (3) Ordinary Members
I would strongly encourage you to consider helping the BUG by being on the committee. It requires only a small amount of time but has a significant impact on the effectiveness of the group.
Nominations of candidates for election as officers of the Group or as ordinary members of the Committee must be:
- Made in writing, signed by two members of the Group and accompanied by the written consent of the candidate (which may be endorsed on the form of nomination); and
- Delivered to me (the BUG Secretary) by Thursday 16 October at 7:30pm. I will accept the nominations in the following formats:
- Fax: 03 8610 2174
- Paper: sent to 87 Rae St, North Fitzroy, 3068
- A scan of the nomination form: sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any other business that you want raised at the AGM, please provide notice to me, in writing, by Monday 13 October.
Please note that we require a quorum of ten (10) members at the AGM, so please come!
If you have any questions about the AGM or committee election, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Moreland BUG secretary and public officer